Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hopefully, not the last day of existence, Part II.....

April 29th, 2013 (4:12 am, Greenwich Mean Time +1)
Dear Father,

The fact that I can write these words to you and I have not joined you and Mom in the spirit world should suggest that the world still exists. I would love to take credit, but AF was more a distraction than the killing force.

When we got to Stockholm, we.... were not attacked by F16s. We closed in on the Department of Defense building and could see smoke coming out of one of the windows. We landed on the roof and Jurgen over-road the security lock to the roof entry. He stated that the lock was open, but he was not sure that he got past the codes, so they may be aware of our entry. The fact that there was a fire in the building suggested to us that they probably didn't care about our entry.

So we went down to the main floor and found the entry door for the cellar (where we had been told was the elevator to the lower facilities that UMI had created). People rushed past us, but no one noticed our presence. Survival was on the front burner in their minds. In the basement, we found the elevator and Jurgen broke the security there, as well. We descended for what felt like a very long time and when the doors opened, I caught a most surprising smell. Spexx was down here. I assumed he was involved in the destruction of UMI. We proceeded with caution. We stumbled over Casino (either we had captured her clone, which died in PTA custody, or the original was dead and Nomad had created a replacement) in one of the halls. She was bleeding from her encounter with constructs. Bane tended the wounds (though I could see she would rather throttle the woman) and Scotsman picked her up. The stress we were going through came to a crest at that moment for one of the team. Snow Angel (who had taken far more damage than she told us in her earlier fight) collapsed. We were all concerned for her, so Mantis ordered Green Lantern to get her to the hospital, NOW. We would have two fewer people to complete the task, but we were beginning to feel that UMI was going down and we wanted to get as many people out of this alive as possible.

Further down the hall, we heard conflict and continued to it. The Joker sped past us, heading toward the exit with his standard giggle. When we reached the war zone, we found Nomad down with a badly burnt arm and five constructs and Pal. Bane pulled out the destruction weapon we had gotten from the Vision and dropped the constructs. We took Pal out fairly easily. Joe, who was with us as a technician, found in a near by room, the computer which was producing Pal and opened fire with a 9 mm. Bane then began to attend to Nomad's arm. While others began to search the rooms around this battle zone, I began to go further down the hall, scouting for further threats. While I was gone, Bane proceeded into one room which had smoke leaking out of the cracks in the door. The room had been torched and all the machines destroyed. She found two people in the room, alive, though one was in very bad condition.

As she was bringing those people out of the room, I was heading back to the group at an accelerated pace. Five constructs were close on my tail (no pun intended). Mantis, who was standing guard over the others, called for Bane to toss him the weapon, and when it was in his hand, I turned and pulled the constructs in to conflict with me to keep them as tightly woven as possible. With them all in close proximity, Mantis could shut them all down with a single shot.

With the constructs down and Bane bringing out the two wounded people, I joined the group. I was shocked when I saw the more seriously damaged of the two. It was Spexx. He had wires running from his skull and he was emaciated. It was then that I realized what was happening. Spexx is UMI... but not by choice. Someone is using him. Spexx has an incredible ability to tap into computers and control them, and it was his mind that was controlling all the other computers. The real criminal in this situation had taken control of Spexx and was forcing him to do things he would never do on his own. And the more I thought about it, the more it hit me. He had been calling to me for a long time. There were little flaws in the plan. Not flaws made by the mastermind, but attempts by Spexx to send out warnings, hoping we could interpret it. With hindsight, I feel like a fool, but that was then, this is now. Spexx needed medical attention, and we needed to get the hell out of Dodge, because the other person pulled from the fire was Black Canary, a member of The Watchmen, who gained consciousness long enough to tell us that a serious bomb had been placed in the facility and we had to get out of there NOW. I must repeat that. GET OUT NOW.

When we got back to the elevator, we could see that the control box was shooting off sparks, and had a little note attached to it. The Joker had screwed over the control box for the elevator and his final message to us was "I had to go, but I hope you have a BLAST. Hee hee hee. GET IT?... a BLAST."

Survival instinct kicked in for me, I went into feral form, and I ripped the doors to the elevator open. Zephyr created an upward blast which lifted us up the elevator shaft. At the top, I ripped my claws into the floor of the elevator and created an opening large enough for each of us to get through (I had to make it very big, considering some of us were carrying other individuals. I had Spexx, Scotsman was carrying Casino and Black Canary, and Mantis had Nomad.). I pried the elevator door open and as we rushed into the basement, the timer on the detonator struck 12:00. We could feel the flames rushing up the shaft and the ripple from the explosion greatly damaged the structure of the building above us. As the "quake" subsided, we could hear the walls of the building above us begin to collapse. Each of us, for a moment, felt like fallen soldiers. We may be dyeing, but the world is safe again. But as the ceiling began to collapse, the green barrier wall that appeared above us gave us hope. Green Lantern had made it back from getting Snow Angel to the hospital just in time to save us as well. As we ascended from the collapsing building, we could see the clouds of dust that bellowed out from different openings. What was a four story building 20 minutes earlier was now crumbled cement, twisted steal, and shattered glass with the occasional floor board jutting out.

The others stared at the aftermath, but I was drawn by a sound. The human being, when the end has come, releases its last breath which makes a very distinctive sound. Because Spexx was the one who was the one closest to death, I assumed it was his breath. I placed him on the "floor" of the green force field we were traveling in and called for Bane. She has become the AF medic, and Spexx needed attention. Bane began CPR. She had to put a lot of muscle in it, but she was able to restart the heart. Green Lantern got us to the hospital and that is where I am right now... pacing outside the room which is holding Spexx. I am praying that the doctors can bring us good news. It has been a long time since I have seen that hacker and we need him if we want to find the person who started this whole thing.

I will write more later,
James

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home