Monday, May 29, 2006

Ohhhhhh, I'm on fire........

May 28th, 2013
Dear Father,

I gave up in finding the kids yesterday and got a ride back to AF Mansion from Zephyr. When we got back, I saw that Guzz was back. Looked a little lost. But I think he has gotten over the whole cloning thing and is back in the fold. Stranger than that, I actually saw Figulus and Dryad. He had been assigned to the reconstruction project going on at the mansion -- Pheonix, Red Tornado and PAL. I sent him a LOT of e-mail... hoping he could help us out with our communicator problems, but he never responded. I thought maybe I could get a chance to talk to him then, but that is when all hell broke loose.

I have written to you in the past about the fire creatures who are after Zephyr. They had gotten their hands on Speed Daemon and were using him as a "tracking device" to find her since the talisman she is wearing makes that tracking OH that much more difficult. We learned about this when a rift began to open in the ground on the beach by the mansion. We ran to investigate and saw a swarm of fire creatures begin to emerge from the lava.

The first to emerge were humanoids -- 20 or 30 of them -- and they quickly began to hurl themselves at Zephyr, who started to lead them out over the ocean. Guzz and I threw ourselves at the group advancing on her. As we flew toward them, we saw 3 of them basically snuff out. Zephyr had robbed them of all oxygen and their flames faded. The others advancing on her were protected by luck because both Guzz and I wiffed past them. Swing and a miss.... echoed in my mind. Every time I miss like that with my first attack on my opponents, I have a flashback to the Midcity Zoo, and that 50' bear that beat the crap out of me. But for now, Guzz and I were in the water, 100 feet off shore. And the fight was back on the beach.

As we started to swim back, two things happened. First, our real opponent emerged from the "magma." He was an eighty foot tall humanoid wrapped in fire with an object chained to his hand. He commanded his minion to take out Zephyr with the authority of a field general. It took a moment to figure out what was chained to his hand, but the smell hit my nose. It had been years since I saw Speed Daemon, but the smell identified him.

The second thing which happened was that Guzz and I began to rise out of the water on a bubble of energy. Inside the bubble, I saw Mister Mystico and Dr. Fate. They were sending out mystical energy to reduce the temperature of the lava -- closing it to keep any more of the fire creatures from getting out.

It looked like we all had the same thought at the same time. Take the big one out first. But that is when he waved his hand at us, stating almost casually, "Fear me, puny humans." For most of us.... that worked. I was intimidated and... immobile for a moment. Of those who were not frozen in fear, some began to run and others overcame the fear to attack. One of those who got past his "persuasiveness" was Scotsman, who rode his ghostly steed toward the beast to swing his mystical sword. He missed, but the creature could feel the wave of energy which came out of the blade. And that scared him. He ordered his minion to re-direct their attacks to Scotsman. Because his mind was distracted by the mystic sword, his "aura of fear" began to crack and most of us were able to break out of it. Leaping from the energy bubble I was frozen on, I was the first to make contact with the fire giant. I could feel my wolf hairs curl in the heat, but I moved away before I took serious damage. He, on the other hand, took a lot of damage. But it would take a lot more to put him out.

As we were working on the big guy, he and the little ones were after Scotsman. Mantis (oh, yeah... I forgot to mention... he is no longer MIA, Father. I guess he took care of what ever he had to do) guarded the Scotsman, blocking incoming flame bolts from the lesser creatures, but the giant got a blow or two in on Scotsman, who rolled with the blows and continued to sit on his horse looking a little smoky but still up and riding.

Back to the big guy, Speed Daemon had gotten out of his prison (Mantis broke the chain and our attacks on the creature made him lose his grip). The moment Speed Daemon's feet hit the ground he began to run in a circle around the creature, creating a cone of water and mist around him, slowing him down. Shortly there after, Figulus put a laser shot into the being that got him to the brink of existence, and I pushed him over the edge. As he vanished, his followers faded out.

I went to thank Mystico and Fate, but they were still working on cooling down the magma below the new rock which scarred our beach. When they finally finished, I spoke with them, letting them know that their efforts made it possible for us to win the battle. With out them, we would have been flooded with fire creatures.

I also took the chance to talk to Figulus. We have been trying to recruit him for a while now. Hopefully the time he spends at AF Mansion working on the androids will give him a chance to see the work we do here and how his help would be greatly valued -- as would his wife's assistance to AF. I am still hoping I can get assistance form her in the finding and helping of another dryad I encountered earlier (editor's note: For more on the other dryad, see "Finally taking care of business..."). We will see how that works out.

Lastly, I am glad to see Gas Guzzler is back with us. I only hope he will stay focused and work with us. I know that the clones Nomad made of him got to him. Drove him to seek and detain them. He was honorable, and brought them to justice... most of the time... but the constructs were close behind him and destroyed all of his clones... that we know of.

It was a busy day, Father. I gotta go get some rest. Give Mom a hug for me.

Love,
James

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home