Monday, April 24, 2006

Reality in a dream....

February 25th, 2013
Dear Father,

Last night, I had the strangest dream. No. It wasn't a dream. It was a vision quest. I remember you discussing those in my childhood, and I remember the vision quest that came to me when I came into adulthood. But I never had one quite this intense before.

I had been having sleepless nights for the past few weeks and I decided to use the sweat lodge last night to relieve all my tension. As the tension fell from my body, I faded from our world and passed into the spirit world. I was confused for a moment because it had been such a long time since my last visit here, but as my mind cleared, so did the fog.

That was when I saw the silver wolf. I knew who he was immediately -- my spirit guide. I called to him. He turned to me and smiled. Then he darted into the woods. As quickly as I could, I caught up to him. I felt a compulsion to take on my other form as we ran together. When I changed, he sped up. And I suddenly realized why. I could smell the elk to our North West. He was circling around to the East of the elk to make sure we were downwind.

When we came to the edge of a clearing, I could see the elk he was after. It was a large buck, strong, but you could see that it had just passed its prime and its death would not have ripple effects on the herd.

While I was studying the stag, my guide circled silently to the South East of it. I knew what he was doing and suddenly I was overcome by the urge to join him. At that moment, my body began to alter. My arches lengthened and my upper leg fused with my body. This forced me to fall forward and my arms were no longer arms -- they became fore legs. My hands became paws. And my face burst forward into a far more canine shape. At that moment I realized that my olfactory senses were functioning at a much higher level. I moved a little to the North East of the creature and waited for my guide to close in for his attack so that I could surprise and blindside the game.

I watched him charge the stag and when it turned to him, I leapt at it, knowing I could easily overtake it in a single jump. That was when I learned that my shape was not all that had been altered. I overshot the stag by 30 yards. I quickly turned and charged at the prey to assist my vision guide because, while a pack of wolves can take down an elk with minimal damage, in a one on one battle, the elk's size and antlers gives it an advantage.

We took the creature down fairly quickly. We began to feed. That was when I noticed the difference between my guide and myself. I was at least twice his size. I knew that with one bight, I could easily snap his back. But he is my guide... my teacher... my alpha, so with respect I let him take the choicest pieces of meat from the kill.

When the dream ended, I woke up. The memories of what I had experienced were not fading as most dreams do. I decided at that moment that, when I got home, I was going to use the privacy of my basement to experiment with this new form that I believed my guide was suggesting I could take. When I attempted to stand to leave the sweat lodge, I realized that I could not stand... not as a normal man. It was then that I looked down and saw that I did not have to experiment with the shape changing. I had already proven that it was a reality. I stood up on all four and trotted to the exit from the lodge. As I reached it, I stopped. It was then that I realized that I may frighten my fellow Saanich in this form.

At that moment, One-Who-Helps-Many, my father's brightest student who became the tribal medicine man upon his death, came through the flap and paused.... then continued his entry, saying, "Hi, James. You look a little different tonight."

I was taken aback. I tried to speak but could not in the form I had taken. I sat back on my haunches and concentrated on returning to my bi-pedal form. I was surprised at the length of time it took me to regain my human form. When I finally attained human shape, I spoke, "How did you know it was me. This is the first time I have ever taken this shape."

"Well..... I was kinda expecting it. I had a conversation with your father last week and --"

"Last week? Oh... you talked to him and... nevermind. I forget that you can do that with the ancestors..."

"No worries. I still am surprised from time to time when Joseph drops in on me and this has been happening for 20 years. Anyway, he told me that there was a possibility that you might be getting a visit from your spirit guide and that it may be teaching you how to move closer to the form of the wolf inside you. I guess he is a good teacher."

I laughed, "You would be surprised how effective his teaching is. This was the first vision I had had in 30 years and he had me in wolf form in only a few minutes. Well.... not 'wolf' form.... you saw me."

"Yes, James.... I saw that you were in a dire situation...."

I threw a towel at him. And we laughed.

That is my latest news, Father. As I learn more about my new form, I will keep you abreast. I am going to be very cautious with this because I do not know how wild my heart will be when I go into battle in this form, but I know it will have its uses. I smelled things in that form that I have not noticed in years. But I also have some limitations with this form. I can become it in an instant, but it takes far more to pull myself back into my human form. I am more agile, stronger, and can take more damage, but I cannot use my martial arts, so the possibility of me digging claw into my opponent and possibly transferring my disease is greater. And that is what scares me the most.

That is all I have for now. Give Mom a hug for me.

Love
James

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home