Stranger in a strange land
1/10/13
Dear Father,
I have been busy for the past few days. This is the first chance I have had to record this. I did a full battery of diagnostic tests on Hal. I gave him the WAIS and he tested out at 254. But there were indications within the subtests which showed that he has some social weaknesses. The more I tested him, the more I realized that he was not a young man suffering from dissociative fuges (my initial diagnosis from our conversations), but that he was an artificial intelligence in a biological android body.
I then took a chance and, after gaining his smell, I tried to track him back to the place where he stated he "came into existence" and walked from there to the mansion. I fell off the trail a few times but was able to regain it. But there came a time in the track when I was being overwhelmed by too many other smells from the desert I was walking through. And I could not find the trail again. I called back to the house and asked Hal (the person, who was now functioning as our database) to create a map of Southern California and mark my current position on that map. When I got back to the house, I got a copy of the map. I then took Hal to the danger room and tested his pace. I knew that from our original conversation, he stated that he walked for 27 hours to get to the house (not a day... not a while... but a fairly exact amount of time). I determined from his pace and the amount of time that he walked the exact distance he would have walked if he had no impediment during that time. I created a straight line on the map from the mansion to the place of greatest probability which he began his journey (using my desert mark on the map to dictate the direction the line took on the map).
Using the correlations I got from the map, I went out into the desert and found the estimated spot he began to walk from to get to LA. I then started walking back to LA on that line. I was astonished when, 4 miles later, I found a cave which had relatively fresh tracks around it. Inside the cave, I found Hal's smell -- and a small shard of some kind of magnetic storage media.. The only markings on the shard were UMI. Outside the cave, I found a pair of helicopter tracks with foot prints leading from the landing position to the cave, but not back to the chopper.
As of right now, all I have is a theory. This Hal really is our Hal. What created him, I don't know. How they got his database into this "system," I don't know. How I can unlock his memories, I don't know. But I am sure that, with time, we will figure this out.
Love,
James
Dear Father,
I have been busy for the past few days. This is the first chance I have had to record this. I did a full battery of diagnostic tests on Hal. I gave him the WAIS and he tested out at 254. But there were indications within the subtests which showed that he has some social weaknesses. The more I tested him, the more I realized that he was not a young man suffering from dissociative fuges (my initial diagnosis from our conversations), but that he was an artificial intelligence in a biological android body.
I then took a chance and, after gaining his smell, I tried to track him back to the place where he stated he "came into existence" and walked from there to the mansion. I fell off the trail a few times but was able to regain it. But there came a time in the track when I was being overwhelmed by too many other smells from the desert I was walking through. And I could not find the trail again. I called back to the house and asked Hal (the person, who was now functioning as our database) to create a map of Southern California and mark my current position on that map. When I got back to the house, I got a copy of the map. I then took Hal to the danger room and tested his pace. I knew that from our original conversation, he stated that he walked for 27 hours to get to the house (not a day... not a while... but a fairly exact amount of time). I determined from his pace and the amount of time that he walked the exact distance he would have walked if he had no impediment during that time. I created a straight line on the map from the mansion to the place of greatest probability which he began his journey (using my desert mark on the map to dictate the direction the line took on the map).
Using the correlations I got from the map, I went out into the desert and found the estimated spot he began to walk from to get to LA. I then started walking back to LA on that line. I was astonished when, 4 miles later, I found a cave which had relatively fresh tracks around it. Inside the cave, I found Hal's smell -- and a small shard of some kind of magnetic storage media.. The only markings on the shard were UMI. Outside the cave, I found a pair of helicopter tracks with foot prints leading from the landing position to the cave, but not back to the chopper.
As of right now, all I have is a theory. This Hal really is our Hal. What created him, I don't know. How they got his database into this "system," I don't know. How I can unlock his memories, I don't know. But I am sure that, with time, we will figure this out.
Love,
James


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home